Thursday, April 16, 2009

My Editor


I can't sing the praises of my editor enough. She is a die hard. Another fellow Abingdon author likened her to the energizer bunny. She is totally dedicated, committed, and loyal to her authors and the success of the fiction line. She gently led me through the editing process, and is working hard and furiously to place my novel in as many chain and independent bookstores as she can. And her hard work is paying off.


She makes all her authors feel they are a part of a 'family'. She doesn't leave us out, but gives us the heads up on what is going on. One day she will tell us she is flying to Boston to meet with the folks at ChristianBooks.com, then another meeting in an undisclosed location to meet with another huge marketing firm. She lets us know the outcome, which is always excellent news.
This is what editors do.

This relationship between author and editor is what a dedicated, traditional publisher will build.
In addition to the leadership of my editor, I have to praise my publist at Abingdon. She too is working hard to market Abingdon's fiction line. The other day, I received a package on my doorstep. Inside a the manila envelop was a 'glamour bag', a blue foil wrapper, and inside it were the ARCs for two other novels. I was elated.

In the world of self-publishing and print on demand, you will not find this level of committment. Ask yourself, what is it a self-publisher or print on demand company wants from you? The answer - Money. What is it a traditional publisher wants from you? Your novel. And they want you to prosper as they prosper. They want you to be a success. It is a two-way street.

Once again, I must herald the call. Writers, avoid the easy route. I've been on both sides of the fence. Submit to publishers that are reputable in the industry, that will work for you and with you. It may take more time this way, but it is worth waiting for. Above all, commit your work to Him that gave you talent.


6 comments:

Jessica Nelson said...

Great post, Rita! I hope someday when I'm published that I'll have an editor as kind and dedicated as Barbara.

Jennifer Taylor said...

Amen and Amen. Rita and I have the same editor and I can't echo the same sentiments enough. She is awesome. Over the years I've heard so many complaints by other authors at other publishing houses, and I didn't really know what to expect, but God held me out for the best. And I am so blessed by how God opened the door for me at Abingdon.

Susan J. Reinhardt said...

Hi Rita -

I've watched so many self-pubbed authors get discouraged with the marketing aspect. Some have even given up writing.

It's worth the struggle to find a traditional publisher. Unless you have a speaking ministry and need materials fast, self-publishing can end up being a harder road than traditional.

Blessings,
Susan :)

J. M. Hochstetler said...

Rita, you are so blessed to be with such a good publisher. And I ought to know since I was an editor with Abingdon for many years. I received the ARC of Surrender the Wind the other day, and I was stunned by how well it was done--much better than any other ARCs I've seen.

How I wish my experience with Zondervan had been like yours at Abingdon! Unfortunately, they did none of these things for me. I learned that not all traditional publishers are that committed to their authors. But thankfully I have finally been able to get my pub rights back for Daughter of Liberty and Native Son and will issue new (and better!) editions soon.

What you're experiencing with Abingdon is exactly what I want to do for my authors at Sheaf House. We're still new and small, but I'm praising God that I have a wonderful distributor who is working hard to build sales for our authors in the same way Barbara is doing for you. And my partner Joy DeKok and I are doing everything we can to treat our authors the same way we wish we had been treated.

Myra Johnson said...

Right on, Rita! We definitely have the best! I thank God every day for our fabulous editor and her staff.

Billy Coffey said...

I popped over here from Amy Deardon's blog, and I'm glad I did. I really, really needed to hear this.