Friday, August 6, 2010
Writers Write Day
Writers Write Day ~ Wednesday, August 11
Writers, there is a tug-o-war going on for your attention. It mostly comes in the guise of the Internet. Next Wednesday, August 11 is Writers Write Day. The goal of this all day event is to immerse writers in their manuscripts without the distractions of blogs, Facebook, social networking sites, news sources, etc.. Let's admit it, they do pull us away, and sometimes hours go by and we have lost valuable writing time.
Here is what to do.
1. Put a 'do not disturb' sign on your door.
2. Write for at least three hours in the morning. If you start at 9am that will bring you up to the noon hour.
3. Take a lunch break.
4. Write for four hours in the afternoon.
5. That evening post on your blog, Facebook, etc. how it went. How much work did you get done?
Here is what you CANNOT do.
1. Do not peruse the Internet. That includes Facebook and other social networking sites.
2. Do not make phone calls unless absolutely necessary, and make them during your break.
3. No text messaging.
4. No television or radio, but by all means listen to inspirational music that helps the creative juices flow.
Let your family and friends know that you will be going into a day of seclusion to work on your manuscript. Hope you have an incredible time writing.
Note: If you work and can't write most of the day, then try to schedule an evening of writing with no distractions from the Internet, Facebook, emails, etc.
Posted by Rita Gerlach at 8:31 AM