We may not be able to be together in person, but thank goodness for the Internet. We'll have a virtual glass of champagne together, and for those who do not partake in the 'bubbly' we will have glasses of sparkling cider, along with cake and a few recipes. (See the one below.)
I will be e-signing a 'suitable for printing and framing' book cover, for anyone that would like one, with a personal note to you. Get on the list, and I'll email you your signed cover.
All you have to do is stop into the comment section on Friday via the post that will be up and tell me you'd like a personalized cover, leave me your email address, and I'll get it to you asap.
A Luscious Cake for a Garden Party from Hershey's Kitchens
European Mocha Fudge Cake
- 1-1/4 cups (2-1/2 sticks) butter or margarine
- 3/4 cup HERSHEY'S SPECIAL DARK Cocoa
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans
- CREAMY COFFEE FILLING (recipe follows)
- Chocolate curls (optional)
- Heat oven to 350°F. Butter bottom and sides of two 9-inch round baking pans. Line bottoms with wax paper; butter paper.
- Melt butter in small saucepan; remove from heat. Add cocoa, stirring until blended; cool slightly. Beat eggs in large bowl until foamy; add salt and vanilla. Gradually add sugar, beating well. Add cooled chocolate mixture; blend thoroughly. Fold in flour. Stir in pecans. Pour mixture into prepared pans.
Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out
clean. Do not overbake. Cool 5 minutes; remove from pans to wire
racks. Carefully peel off paper. Cool completely. Spread CREAMY
COFFEE FILLING between layers, over top and sides of cake. Garnish with
chocolate curls, if desired. Refrigerate 1 hour or longer before
serving. Cover leftover cake; store in refrigerator. 10 to 12
CREAMY COFFEE FILLING
1-1/2 cups cold whipping cream
1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
2 teaspoons powdered instant coffee
Combine all ingredients; stir until instant coffee is almost dissolved. Beat until stiff. About 3 cups filling.
MAKE AHEAD DIRECTIONS: Cooled cake may be wrapped and frozen up to 4 weeks; thaw, wrapped, before filling and frosting.