Friday, November 18, 2011

Happy Thanksgiving Recipe

Dear Friends,

Here is one of my favorite Thanksgiving recipes perfect for your Thanksgiving Day menu. I never liked the traditional whipped sweet potatoes with marshmallows on top. A few years ago I found this one and it is de...li...cious!
I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving.





Sweet Potato Pecan Casserole
3 cups of mashed sweet potato (about 2 1/4 pounds)
1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/3 cup skim milk
2 tablespoons margarine or butter melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 egg whites, lightly beaten
Topping:
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons margarine or butter
1/3 cup chopped pecans

Combine: first 7 ingredients in a bowl, and stir well. Spoon sweet potato mixture into an 8-inch square backing dish coated with cooking spray.

Combine: 1/2 cup brown sugar and flour in a bowl, and cut in 2 tablespoons chilled margarine or butter with a pastry blender or 2 knives until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir in the chopped pecans and sprinkle over sweet potato mixture.

Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
Yield: 8 servings - 1/2 cup each

3 comments:

Jan Cline said...

Yay! Im in charge of sweet potatoes this Thanksgiving. Im going to try this. Have a wonderful holiday Rita. Did I ever tell you I finished Surrender...great story...

Rita Gerlach said...

Hi Jan,
You are going to love this recipe. It's so good.
I'm so glad you liked Surrender the Wind. The series I'm writing is coming along, and I sent a revised manuscript to another publisher over the weekend. It was pod published back in 2001. I'm so thankful I found a publisher interested in reissuing my past books. I just hope they will offer me a contract.

Let me know how the recipe turns out for you. Whenever we've had a large crowd I've doubled the recipe.

Monty Bridges said...

Thhanks for writing