Thursday, March 10, 2011

The Ripple Effect

Spring is almost here. My husband is gearing up for a season of fly fishing, which makes me think of this analogy.

Toss a stone in a pond and you will get a ripple effect. Perfect circles will fan out from the center and, depending on the force of the throw and the weight of the stone, the ripples will reach as far to the shoreline as possible.

When it comes to marketing a novel, the ripple effect is how I think of it. The center can be thought of in different ways. Your hometown. Your target audience. Your workplace, school, or any club or organization you belong to. Each can be a focus of marketing.

What marketing techniques have you used to promote your book that have translated into book sales?

3 comments:

Jessica Nelson said...

That's a great point!

I don't have a book, so no tips here. But I think that the more people who hear about it, the more sales there will be. Unfortunately Christian books just aren't as easy to come by unless a reader is looking for them specifically.

Carla Gade said...

Well, my books won't release until next year, but I have have a head start already on sales. I've been working for the past few years at building my connections on and off line. I have had the opportunity to live in several states so my networks involve many places. As my publication dates near I will try to engage in more active ways to promote and market my books such as blog/website promotions, book tours, signings, etc. I hope to develop a an email and snail mail list as well.

Susan J. Reinhardt said...

I don't have a book out, but I like your methodology.